We had another wonderful week in second grade!
Here are some things we learned this week:
- Continued working on Topic 6
- Used little ten-frames to help add tens and ones
- Practiced making combinations of 10
- Used mental math to add a 1 digit number to a 2 digit number
- Boys and girls worked on independent work this week while students were being tested using the Developmental Reading Assessment (DRA)
- In FUNdations students learned how to identify a vowel-consonant-e syllable: the syllable has a vowel, then a consonant, then an e.
- The first bowel is long and the e is silent, the sneaky e!
- Students learned S can say /z/ when it is between two vowels
- Read lots of great reptile books!
- Created a reptile sort for the 4 groups: turtles, lizards, snakes, and crocodiles
- Students learned about the different turtle types
- Learned how lizards and salamanders are the same and different
- Created a Venn diagram to compare the two
- Reptile Test will be on Thursday, December 19th. Please help your child study the study guide that went home yesterday.
**The students also have flash cards to help them**
- Continued to work on the procedural letter to the kindergarten teachers: How to teach them to sit on the rug.
Reminder: Students received a note about participating in our “Secret Pal” activity next week. If you do not want your child to participate, please let me know.
Students have a letter in their bag with more detail about this assignment. Here is a peek at what it says:
Each night for homework, beginning Monday, December 16th and continuing through Friday, December 20th, your child is responsible for writing a daily compliment for his/her secret pal AND working at home on a homemade gift to be given on Friday, December 20th.
Please help your child keep their secret pal, secret.