2014 is off to a great start! The students had an excellent week.
Here are some things we learned this week:
- We started mental subtraction; make sure to look at the Mental Math Facts game sent home on Monday. It is on the back of the Home-School Connection work mat
- Students learned to subtract multiples of 10 from two-digit numbers using mental math and ten-frame cards
- Students found the missing part of 100 by counting up from the given number.
- Students also found the difference between two-digit numbers less than 100 using their one hundred chart (a one hundred chart was sent home for students to use for their homework if needed)
· We started reading Wonderful Winter and work on compound words and summarizing the beginning, middle, and end of a book.
· Whole class summarize lesson with the book, Big Al
· In FUNdations we learned that an open syllable has only one vowel which is the last letter in the syllable, the vowel sound is long, and the syllable can be combined with other syllables to make longer words.
- Students finished their procedural writing to the kindergarten teachers on how to help their students to sit on the rug
- Read the book, Squirrel’s New Year’s Resolution
- Brainstormed new years resolutions
- Wrote a letter to parents telling them three resolutions they are going to work on their year (a copy was sent home, originals will be hung in the hallway)
In other news:
Book Buddies came in this afternoon, it has been a few weeks and the students were so excited!
Field Trip News: I put all of the chaperone volunteer’s names in a bucket, and chose two. The two parents for next weeks field trip are: Casina’s sister, and
’s mother. Madison
Thank you for all of those who volunteered. Also, for those who have not returned field trip slips, please do so as soon as possible. Thank you!
In happy and sad news, Mrs. Farrand will be returning next Friday for the field trip. She is looking forward to seeing all the students! I will be sad to leave, but I feel very thankful for teaching all of your wonderful children. Fortunately, I will be just downstairs in kindergarten, so I will be sure to visit!
Homework: Students homework will look a little different starting next week. Sentences will now be Leader, Follower sentences. There are new directions, and the students and I will do a sample together for them to bring home on Monday.
Have a good weekend!
Miss Santullo J